Elevator Constructors assemble, install, test, and maintain elevators, escalators, dumbwaiters, moving walkways, stage lifts, and wheelchair lifts. They perform rigging, welding, electrical work, and hydraulic piping in connection with these tasks, and must also install metal, wood, glass, and other interior and exterior surfaces with a high degree of finish.
The work can be heavy but it is highly technical. The ability to work closely in a team is essential, as is the ability to work with great patience and attention to detail.
The Elevator Constructor Apprentice program involves:
- 8000 hours (about four years) of on-the-job training
- 576 hours of classroom training
Requirements for application:
- High school diploma or G.E.D. or equivalent; transcript or official report of G.E.D. results;
- Pass an examination testing reading and math skills and aptitude for employment in the elevator industry;
- Pass a drug test; and,
- Consent to a pre-hire medical exam
The Northern California Elevator Constructors Apprentice Program is not accepting applications at this time. Please visit our website at www.iuec8.org. It will be used to notify the public of any future applicant recruitment.
Northern California Elevator Industry Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee
690 Potrero Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94110
For more info, visit www.neiep.org or www.iuec8.org.