Glaziers handle, cut, prepare, and install glass (or products serving where glass would otherwise be used) in art, automobiles, storefronts, windows, showcases, skylights, shower and bath enclosures, curtain wall and interior and exterior partitions.
They fabricate and install extruded metal tubes, mullions, metal facing materials, muttons, fascia, trim moldings, panels of all types, slope glazing, window wall, and curtain wall. The job includes heavy lifting, and work in high places. The ability to work in a team is essential.
The Glaziers Apprenticeship program involves:
- 8000 hours (usually five years) of on-the-job training
- 640 hours of class time, one week per quarter during the day
Requirements for application for the Glaziers Apprenticeship program:
- Must be at least 17 years old at the time of taking the entrance exam
- Must present a high school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Must provide a valid California Driver's License
- Must provide a valid social security card
- Must pass a Math exam
Applications/Entrance Exams are scheduled monthly by appointment only, as space is limited. Testing is done at the San Leandro and Sacramento training facilities. All applicants are required to contact the Glaziers Apprenticeship Training Office at 510-785-8467 to schedule an appointment.
For additional information contact:
Northern California Glaziers JATC
2020 Williams Street, Ste. A
San Leandro, CA 94577