Carpet, Linoleum, and Soft Tile Workers cover floors, walls, counter tops and other surfaces with carpet, linoleum, vinyl, and soft tile of various materials. They install pre-finished hardwood, PVC, and laminated flooring. The work requires physical stamina. Most of the work is done in either a squatting or kneeling position and involves also lifting of such heavy loads as rolls of carpet or sheet vinyl. Manual dexterity, good hand-eye coordination, and a good sense for design and patterns are needed, as is the ability to make precise calculations and to do precision work.
The Carpet, Linoleum, and Soft Tile Worker Apprenticeship program involves:
- 6000 hours (usually 4 years) of on-the-job training
- 640 hours of class time, one week per quarter during the day
- Occasional work outside the local area
Requirements for application for the Carpet, Linoleum, and Soft Tile Worker Apprenticeship program:
- Must be at least 18 years old at the time of taking the entrance exam
- Must provide a valid California Driver's License
- Must provide a valid social security card
- Must pass a Math exam which includes spatial relations
Applications/Entrance Exams are scheduled monthly by appointment only, as space is limited. Testing is done at the San Leandro and Sacramento training facilities. All applicants are required to contact the Carpet, Linoleum, and Soft Tile Workers Apprenticeship Training Office at 510-785-8467 to schedule an appointment.
For additional information contact:
Northern California Floor Covering Joint Apprenticeship & Training Trust Fund
2020 Williams Street, Ste. A
San Leandro, CA 94577
To enter the apprenticeship, applicants first obtain employment with a union signatory contractor. Lists of signatory contractors are available from the DC16 Local Union in their area.